I grew up skiing. I would venture on saying it was a family religion. And because of it, winter was always my favorite season…until I had kids. Kids are hard to keep warm, hard to get dressed, and hard to tote around all bundled up. And that made my winters very hard…
So here are two jackets I LOVE! They are affordable, wash easily, and WARM. And in case you are wondering… I did not receive some sort of compensation from REI for these reviews!
Our favorite aspects other than warmth:
- They are compressible and easy to pack and buckle in a car seat.
- The cuffed wrists allow you to buy it a few sizes too big thus getting a few seasons out of them.
- Half the price of other brands such as Patagonia or North Face.
- In the words of my mother, “They wash like a dream.”
- Anything without a hood is missing one…in my opinion.
- Down is useless when it gets wet.
Why we love this fleece:
- These jackets layer well.
- It doesn’t pill or thin after lots of wear and washing.
- Fleece maintains some warmth even if it gets wet.
- Very versatile: camping in the summer, climbing in the fall, layering in the winter.
- Wish it had a hood!
For more info from a Mom who really knows the cold check out Family Adventures in the Canadian Rockies. They live in Canada, which gets really cold, and are avid cross country skiers, hikers, and all around snow adventurers.